Thursday 21 June 2012

Happy Birthday Olivia Faith...

Phew…what a busy, happy, emotional day!

Olivia turned one today… a whole year has passed since that early morning in that cold sterile theatre as the slow steady rhythm of the beeping machines in the background lulled me to sleep.

Beep, beep, beep … as I think back I can still smell the disinfectant in the room  and feel the Goosebumps prickle my skin under the warm blanket on that hard operating table.  I gulped back my fear, said a final pleading prayer and held on tight to Shane’s hand and then there was nothing…

Today those early days of anxiety mixed with excitement, and pure relief every time we got an update on Olivia’s progress seem light years away – did it really happen to us?

I watch Olivia play on the mat in the early morning sunshine, and I marvel at the miracle in front of me… to think, had I not the faith and the stubborn belief that we could make it, had I listened to the Doctors early warnings of deformity, mortality and more, had I made the choice to terminate this little mite, I would not be sitting here today watching a dinky, strong, feisty, loving little girl busily moving around the floor, playing with this and that, jabbering quietly and coming over every now and then to give her mum a cuddle and show me the toy she just picked out…

And then I am thankful, so very thankful that I was brought up in a Christian home, that I have the mother I do and the family that jumped to my support. Without my faith and special people this miracle girl would not be here, and were it not for one very dedicated and supportive Dr Coetsee, we would not have completed our family and we would have missed out on so, so much joy!

The world is a better place with Olivia in it and I thank heaven above for my daughter and my life.

Happy Birthday special girl, you have so much ahead of you and I would do it all again in a heartbeat, just to be able to see your silly smile and tickle those tiny feet.

Happy Birthday Baby Girl, Mama loves you lots and lots more than jelly tots…

PS: To all our special people; family, friends, doctors, nurses and even strangers…thank you from the bottom of my heart for standing with me through this last year and while I waited. Your prayers and encouragement kept me going and made today possible. While Olivia and my journey is far from over, I have been overwhelmed by your kindness and compassion and feel truly blessed for knowing you xxx

1 comment:

  1. <3 Love you all so much <3 (You got me crying BIG crocodile Tears!) Have a fantastic Party. Lots of Love Aunty Paula

    ReplyDelete