Sunday 15 May 2011

"Grow"

Well, where to start…

Thursday morning I awoke to Braxton Hicks contractions, which in itself isn’t anything new, but the pains and the duration just made me feel uneasy and after messages between the doc and I, it was decided that at this point nothing must be taken lightly and a trip to labour ward was necessary… so bags were packed into the car and off we went.

What struck me when we reached the hospital was the level of urgency I was being treated with, wheelchairs, rushed, hushed calls to doctors and loads of detailed info was recorded…after trace tests were done and scans completed, it was decided that steroid injections should commence immediately to help mature the little mites lungs, as my abdomen was looking severely irritated and blood vessels terribly engorged, sending my risk factors sky rocketing.

The good news was that our little mite has grown nicely and reached a good 650g! All organs looked good and as usual she was squirming and kicking the scanner and all in all being her usual “feisty” self <3 At nearly 27 weeks, she is looking good and for the first time I got the feeling that they are confident that she’ll be okay and now that it’s me that they were more worried about.

Anyway after my set of injections that day and the appropriate observation, I was released early the next morning and was very relieved to find myself back in my own cozy comfortable bed! And after some reflection I feel that this was a good way to have a “dry run”; I got to update my hospital bags as had forgotten a few minor odds and ends, and the hospital staff got to know me and my very unheard of condition, and my girls and Shane got a small taste of me being away and took it in their stride so well… and I finally feel like this is real… really close now and I can handle it!

So today when grabbing a bite in the kitchen I noticed my sprouting bulbs and the little “grow” tag, and realized that all of this has been handed to us to help us grow, and each step no matter how scary or emotional, is helping us grow as a family and in ourselves and in our relationships with others around us.

Which brings me to my last observation, which is that through this journey I have been surprised as to just who has stepped up and supported us and just been there, to talk to, to fetch and carry children, to run errands, sent messages of support and encouragement and prayers, and so so much more…and then on the other hand I have had to swallow some big lumps, when people who I thought would understand and be there, have just left empty spaces – for whatever reason {and I don’t mean to judge, it has just surprised me is all} but as I said this has certainly been a time of growth in so many ways, relationships, spiritually, in myself and who I am  and literally physically too…and all in all I am happy to say it is good!

It once again concretes for me the fact that everything for a reason and a season… and it is just what it is!

xxx

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post Tiff. So true in what you have to say, glad it all went smoothly for the 1st one, it will all be fine when the day arrives. I love coming to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete